Thursday, January 8, 2015

the tacos of a new kind


So I posted on instagram the other night of my experiment with Cauliflower tacos- and a few of you wanted the recipe. So, here we are!

In short, these tacos were scrumptious. At first my family was pretty skeptical and possibly a little worried for my sanity, but they tried them and actually LIKED them enough to say they are a definite dish to remake down the road. Score! 

If you are looking for a meatless/healthier option for you and your family, I would most certainly give these a shot. They are a stretch out of most of our comfort zones, but so very worth the stretch.


First I must confess, I am the type of cook that looks at recipes and 99.9% of the time I tweak them in some fashion or another. I based my tacos off of Blissful Basil's recipe. I didn't have time to make the cabbage slaw or avocado cream sauce (which would make them even yummier), but I was in a bit of a time crunch. And I think they ended up being a little healthier with out the extra fixings. 

All of the prep directions can be found there in the link and you can find how I modified the recipe below.  

So here's what I did:
I used only half of the head of cauliflower (yields about 10 tacos). I chopped the cauliflower into medium bite size pieces. 3-4 pieces filled the tortillas pretty well.

I was out of cilantro at the time so I had to omit it for this go around (we love cilantro, so it will definitely be there for the next time). I used only one teaspoon of Chili Powder, instead of the two it called for to make the dish accessible for those with more sensitive tongues and I bumped up the Garlic powder from 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon (I really dig garlic). I also omitted the cayenne pepper again to avoid the dish being considered "too spicy." The recipe also has tumeric listed as an optional spice, I didn't use that either. It's all up to your preference. 

Also, I used regular flour and regular milk along with regular rolled oats. Of course the Almond milk, gluten-free rolled oats, and brown rice flour would have been good to use as well, but I try to use what I already have on hand. Further into my #turn2015, I would like to start implementing better choices so its probable that I'll slowly start picking these ingredients up. The tacos are still pretty healthy without the more refined ingredients, so by all means don't be afraid to try it with what you have in your pantry. 

Like I mentioned before I didn't make the slaw or avocado sauce, I ended up serving the tacos with raw sliced purple cabbage and green onions (to get the green color the dish was missing sans sauce) with a bit of sour cream sauce (sour cream, a little lime juice, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper-all eyeballed) on top of a warm corn tortilla.

I also tried the taco in a fried corn tortilla just to see what the consistency would yield and really liked them, it also added a bit more crunch to the taco. Of course this will also add more calories to the dish, but its up to you how you decide to serve them. 



All in all, the tacos were a really good meatless dish- flavorful, crunchy, healthy, and something to break up the monotony of your dishes already in rotation. I loved them and I hope you do too!

I hope this all makes sense in combination with Blissful Basil's recipe. Please let me know if you have any questions.

I would love to see your final products- Happy cooking!  

3 comments

  1. I will def try this. Will also post our families fave meatless tacos tomorrow. We call them "hairy tacos" because when possible they require Alfalfa sprouts. They can be hard to find at times. So in lieu, we go shredded cabbage. Our protein is always Kidney beans with your fave taco type seasonings.
    We will def give the cauliflower a try...ok honestly MEGAN and I will do the cauli. The boys....will need to be coerced. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to see the recipe!
      good luck with the convincing ;)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

© Clarissa Doesn't Explain it All.
Maira Gall