Saturday, July 14, 2012

{Colleen}

This post can be simply shortened to two words. Thank you.
...
Most of you know when I registered and applied for college, my heart was being overwhelmed with my desire to be a nurse.
I wanted to love the sick and hurting through Jesus. And Nursing is one of the top ways to do so.
I got praised and congratulated constantly. Of course, how cool would it be if I was actually a nurse?!
But many of you don't know, as my first year of college progressed I couldn't help but get discouraged and second guess my abilities to complete nursing school and actually go into the field. The Department of Nursing Advisers frightened me and I allowed the stress of being a perfectionist to steal my joy.
Unfortunately, my first year ended with the same mood on my career choice with no real other options showing themselves. Sad isn't it?
Now this brings me to, Colleen.
Colleen is a Nurse at San Antonio Hospital in Upland, California.
We crossed paths this past week in terrible circumstances, but the meeting I will never regret.
Why you ask?
She is an amazing nurse.
Truly an inspiration.
Colleen reminded me of how I waned to be as a nurse. A Nurse who not only cared about her patients but also their family members. A Nurse who works hard even while four months pregnant. A Nurse who chooses compassion even when her patients aren't compassionate. A Nurse who prays over her patients and with their family members. A Nurse who sits with her patients if they are not blessed with family.  A Nurse who hugs.
What a blessing it was to see such a nurse in action.
I don't know if she was a Christian or believed in a relationship with God, but when she went to end her shift for the night and gave me a hug I could only get out the words "I want to be a nurse, thank you" before tearing up. She may not have known it, but she had shared God's love with me that day. He was using Colleen to show me that I could be a nurse. I could be just like the nurse I wanted to be. No scary Nurse Advisers or my own perfectionism (is that a word?) would get in the way if the Lord willed it!
How amazing to know that.
I am still praying and seeking God's will for my life, but it is wonderful to see that Nursing can still be a possibility.
So from the bottom of my heart, Thank you Colleen.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Clarissa Doesn't Explain it All.
Maira Gall