Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A reminder in Aisle 14


Have you ever been on a plane and known that it's was going to be "one of those" flights?

Ya know, the ones with "those" people. 

Well my "those" happened to be 3 women jetting off for a girls weekend (it's Monday...) As soon as they sat down I knew the trip would include lots of interesting conversation that I would be privileged to be within ear shot of. 

These women's lives looked glamorous from the outside. Their designer clothes, white teeth, the well manicured eyebrows and Louis Vuitton bags drew me in with an allure to a secret world I only experienced glimpses of. 

The southern drawl and the y'all's only added to the juiciness of it all. 

But as I listened to their ceaseless conversing I heard nothing but contempt for their "frustrating" husbands, restlessness about their houses, and entitlement in their continuous one upping with their summer plans (no, Bermuda is not in Mexico). 

I couldn't help but look on with a degree of disdain that only increased as they continued to talk about how good it was to get away from their kids/husband, go clubbing, and drink champagne as they munched on their "well tipped/coxed concierge delivered" cupcakes. 

Once I had finished my book and the flight continued on, I was left sitting there a bit nauseated and concerned. 

I  never want to be considered one of "these" women. 

First off, I would never fit in. With my clearance jeans and unwaxed eyebrows, I would stick out like a very sore thumb. 

Second, and most importantly, I would hate to be known as such a surface individual. Don't get me wrong I have my own hang ups and issues, but I don't want to leave this earth and meet Jesus and have Him look at me and ask "Wasn't there more laid out for you? Didn't you see it? I gave you every opportunity and yet you chose to contemplate your worth on the issue of a "house or a plane".

I want to be the girl known for resting in grace and grace alone. 

The things of this world will fade away and crumble to mere dust, and I want to remember that. 

I want to remember that if the opportunity of a custom "contemporary Mediterranean" home becomes a possibility. 

I want to remember that as I build up my husband instead of tearing him and his "nasty shoes" down as I gab with my girlfriends. 

I want to remember that as I discuss my shoes, clothing, and impending purchases of said items.

I want to remember what The Lord has done for me in everything I do. It is only then that I can see the grander plans He has for me. 

And most of the time those plans have nothing to do with a new Rolex or a private plane, but everything to do with a heart open to sharing the great love laid upon us.

I wish those women a safe and enjoyable trip, and thank the good Lord for His reminder as I sat in aisle 14.
 

1 comment

  1. I love this, girl! Such a good reminder that we were made for more. I don't know if I would have had such a gracious attitude if it had been me listening to those gals, but I'm thankful you did and that you heard Jesus speaking to you through it.

    ReplyDelete

© Clarissa Doesn't Explain it All.
Maira Gall