Friday, December 20, 2013

beauties blogging books: projects + vision


I can finally sit down and write for the second week of beauties blogging books. I have enjoyed a Chai Tea Latte, White Christmas is playing in the background, and the house is quiet.

During this week's reading Emma meets Harriet Smith, a lovely young woman born into a less established family. Emma almost instantly decides to make this girl a friend and soon turns the opportunity to refine Harriet's manners and poise into a project. This project also turns into an attempted match up between Harriet and a gentleman named Mr. Elton, in which Emma orchestrates.

Emma's character is the type to become consumed and a bit obsessed with her "projects" or match making schemes. So much so, she often seems to lose sight of the big picture. As her plan continues to play out, i'm sure her narrowed vision will cause some issues.

I must confess, seeing Emma's narrow vision has helped me feel better about my inconsistency with this project. This break seems to be flying by and the time I have spent on this book blogging has been far less than I originally planned. I have felt slightly burdened by my lack of focus on it, but seeing a character with such centered focus I am reminded that this is something I took on to do as a break. It isn't to cause stress or frustration. So in actuality, my lack of narrow vision is better. I can choose to sit and watch Netflix instead of read and be okay with it.

Who knew Emma would teach me that?

Along with the lesson I thoroughly enjoy the way Miss Austen wrote Emma's thoughts, they are sarcastic and witty. And I can't help but chuckle when I read some of them.

For instance:

While chatting with Mr. Elton about drawing a rendering of Miss Smith, Mr. Elton compliments Emma on her own drawings.

Emma's first thought was: "You know nothing about drawing. Don't pretend to be in raptures about mine. Keep your raptures for Harriet's face."

She is a polite woman, so she only thinks these things, but I for one appreciate her honesty.

Y'all make sure to go check out Kelly at the D+D for her take on week 2 and I'll see ya next week!



No comments

Post a Comment

© Clarissa Doesn't Explain it All.
Maira Gall