Wednesday, December 11, 2013

beauties blogging books: book character soul sister


So I started reading Emma by Jane Austen last week when Kelly and I began our beauties blogging books project. It was finals week, and surprisingly, I didn't have much going on.

Fast forward five days: I feel like this winter break has already started to fly by and I'm not real certain where my reading time has gone. Let's just say I didn't get as much reading done as I had hoped for this post, but bear with me. I'm sure there is a nugget of goodness buried within here some where.

Since the book is not mine and I have been referred to as an excessive underline-er/commentator, I decided I would save us all the trouble and just use a notebook. By the end of reading page four I had already used up a whole page of notepaper. Oh, boy. If that's not a sign on how the reading process is going to be, I don't know what is.

Anywho. By page four and my full page of notes, I realized, through my brief encounter with Emma, we were in fact pretty similar.

You see, Emma isn't a fan of change.

When I learned this, my ever loving consistency thriving heart shouted "Oh, man. Girl. I hear you. Preach sister."

For a quick run down: Emma's best friend/governess Miss Taylor recently got married and has moved away. Leaving Emma to deal with losing her live in confidante and the changes that comes along with that.

Although Miss Taylor didn't move far away, there wasn't any texting or email or instagram to keep each other updated during this time. Going from seeing each other 24/7 to once or twice a week with very little communication in between, I can see this gal's heartache for change.

Through it all though, Emma is focused on not succumbing to the sadness and frustration change can bring. She continuously puts on a brave face as she begins to chart these new waters.

I for one have never dealt with an issue like this, but I'm glad to know I have a soul book character sister.  I appreciate her reaction and attitude, because sometimes I need a reminder on the right ways to handle change.

Also, the author describes Emma as seeming "to unite some of the best blessings of existence." Which I think is pretty awesome, I mean, who doesn't want to be described as that? 

I am really excited to read more into her and the general story of it all. 

This post seems pretty surface, but I promise better is coming. Fingers crossed.

If you want a more educated and witty response to our first week of reading, please go visit Kelly at the D+D. That girl has it going on this week. Promise. Here is the link to her first post: here.

P.s. It's her birthday today, so please send some bday wishes her way when you stop in! 

See ya next week! 


No comments

Post a Comment

© Clarissa Doesn't Explain it All.
Maira Gall