Thursday, March 20, 2014

but the Lord

*hey there. I am joining She Reads Truth during Lent and contributing to their She Shares Truth Fridays. This week: Jonah 1+2. Feel free to click on the link for other women's reflections as well! 


I love the buts in this story. They are soaked in God's mercy and dripping in His grace. 

"But the Lord hurled a powerful wind over the sea, causing a violent storm that threatened to break the ship apart." Jonah 1: 4 NLT 

Even though Jonah had just hopped on a boat with a "peace out, Lord. That job is just too big and messy. I ain't doing it." attitude in the verse previous, the Lord still wanted him and was going to pursue Jonah to the very edges of the Earth. 

The Lord was there, in Jonah's absolute refusal. 

Even when the ship began to rock and the sailors became terrified and Jonah knew the whole thing was his fault and told them so.

"Jonah said, "Throw me overboard, into the sea. Then the storm will stop. It's all my fault. I'm the cause of the storm. Get rid of me and you'll get rid of the storm. But no. The men tried rowing back to shore. They made no headway. The storm only got worse and worse, wild and raging." Jonah 1:13-14 MSG

I sometimes feel like the sailors here, I can see the fix to a problem (God) and yet I still row and row and row. I fight against the wild and raging things because it feels easier then to let go and follow after God. 

But. The Lord was there, in the midst of the stubbornness and fight. When the sailors finally let go and stopped rowing against the pointlessness, they were amazed by God's great power as the storm ceased and Jonah sank to be swallowed by the fish. 

And even there, in the big ol' belly of that appointed fish, Jonah sees the Lord. 

"But I'm worshiping you, God, 
calling out in thanksgiving!
And I'll do what I promised i'd do!
Salvation belongs to God."
Jonah 2: 9 MSG

Jonah knows he's messed up big time. He's had time to think it over, (I mean, what else is there to do in the belly of a fish?) at his absolute worst the God who created the heavens and the Earth still heard his cries and rescued him. 

The Lord was there, as Jonah began the process of running back. He still wanted Jonah. He still had a purpose and a plan for him. No matter how far Jonah would run from the Lord, he would still chase hard after him and begin with mercies anew. 

He does that for us too. He wants us. He has called us. No matter how far we run into the wild and raging winds, it will never be too far for God to dust us off and use us for His glory. He is still there, chasing wildly after us. 

If our stories were being written like Jonah's, on those pages, in between the the messiness and the imperfections, there would still be "but the Lord..." 

Thank you, Jesus! Amen. 

7 comments

  1. I love that I was writing about the sailors I also kept writing soldiers! ;-)
    On a more serious note I love your last sentence "our stories were being written like Jonah's, on those pages, in between the the messiness and the imperfections, there would still be "but the Lord..."

    I am so great full for but the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Clarissa, for sharing your insights! Knowing that God is still "chasing wildly after us" is such an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But The Lord" and "But God" are some of my very favorite words in Scripture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always skipped over the sailors, but this post got me! It made me realize that I am like them too. I was so focused on Jonah that I missed the lesson of the sailors. I am them too, at times, I see the answer to the problem (God) and think somehow I can do it better or I can get myself out of the storm faster, but too quickly I forget that maybe God is doing something in the storm! Thank you so much for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. SRT sister here! Holy guac! My favorite line: I sometimes feel like the sailors here, I can see the fix to a problem (God) and yet I still row and row and row. I fight against the wild and raging things because it feels easier then to let go and follow after God.
    Thanks for sharing this reflection. Xo Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Kristina...loved that line about the sailors who couldn't stop rowing! Woe is me! Great lesson here Clarissa!
    Blessings,
    nannette (candacejo) SRT

    ReplyDelete
  7. "No matter how far we run into the wild and raging winds, it will never be too far for God to dust us off and use us for His glory. He is still there, chasing wildly after us." Beautiful, Clarissa! "But the Lord...." I'm so thankful for those buts!

    ReplyDelete

© Clarissa Doesn't Explain it All.
Maira Gall